Philosophy of Curriculum & Instruction at Closter Public Schools“Provide an uncommon experience for your students and they will reward you with an uncommon effort and attitude.”– Dave Burgess, Teach Like a PirateCloster Public Schools is full of excellent teachers who are caring and intelligent who create students skilled in multiple disciplines and are socially competent. Not resting on prior laurels, the school growth model brings us from good to great.
We shall do this by:
- Continual professional development
- Encourage passion in our teaching
- Use experienced, master teachers to turnkey new and developing skills
- Create multiple opportunities for professional and personal growth
- Effectively communicate objectives
- Design lessons that feature 21st Century competencies and literacies which include Common Core State Standards and NJ Core Curriculum Content Standards
- Employ technology as an integrated method of instruction
- Acknowledge that a living curriculum increases knowledge and reflects the community needs
- Use assessments to provide evidence of mastery and serve to foster continual growth
Initiatives from Common Core and AchieveNJ have created challenges that we meet to better our student outcomes.From the NJ Department of Education:"21st century skills are fundamental. Teachers need to foster students’ curiosity, creativity, innovation, problem solving, global literacy, communication, and interpersonal skills. Students need to understand technology and ethics and be able to synthesize information across disciplines.” -New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers (N.J.A.C. 6A: 9-3.3): Foundations of Effective Practice
We further our school growth because student learning is constantly changing and as professionals we must meet those demands.